Upcoming IOA accredited training programmes in September 2020
by: Professor Keith Attenborough
Two short courses and the IOA Diploma are open for new registrations starting from September 2020. If you know anyone who might be interested in these courses, please share this information with them.
Short courses are held in accredited centres around the UK. Normally, the courses start on Monday morning and finishing at 4.30 on Friday. But some centres run for one day per week for five weeks. The courses involve hands-on laboratory and field measurement exercises which account for nearly half the timetable
1. Certificate of Competence in Environmental Noise Measurement
The course is aimed at:
• Technical and scientific staff, in local authorities, environmental consultancies and companies,
• Anyone whose employment requires a working knowledge of noise measurement methodology and legislation
The IOA Certificate of Competence is widely recognised by employers, local authorities, consultants, and industry. Also, the Certificate is useful for expert witness work since it carries credibility in courts of law. Perhaps the most important benefit is that you will be able to carry out your work with the confidence of knowing that you have received an appropriate standard of training.
2. Certificate of Competence in Workplace Noise Risk Assessment
This Course provides in-depth practical training in how to assess the noise hazards in your workplace and identify the best ways to reduce exposure. It also enables you to advise and assist employers on meeting the requirements of the Noise at Work Regulations 2005. It is aimed at:
• Safety professionals
• Environmental health officers
• Anyone responsible for noise risk assessments at work Successful completion of the Certificate in Workplace Noise Assessment.
IOA Diploma Programme
The Diploma course commences in September/October 2020 and extends until the submission deadline for the Project in October 2021. There are coursework assignments with deadlines in December, March and May and written examinations which take place in June 2021, results for which are available in August. A final results letter follows marking of the Projects in December 2021. The Diploma is available in four University centres (Derby, Leeds Beckett, London South Bank and Solent) or via Distance Learning including the IOA training facility in Milton Keynes.
The tutored Distance Learning Diploma option requires students to attend:
- 4 days labs (at Liverpool, Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland or DARL in Dubai UAE)
- 2 days Examinations in June (UK)
It is also advisable to attend the 10 day-long Tutorials, 9-5pm (these can be attended online):
- 5 days for the General Principle of Acoustics
- 4 days Specialist Module (2 days per module)
- 1 Revision tutorial
You apply online:
by following the link “Apply for Distance Learning”.
You can contact your chosen Accredited Centre, a list is available on the IOA website or you can contact us directly: education [at] ioa [dot] org [dot] uk or call the IOA office +44 (0) 300 999 9675.